Friday, July 18, 2014

Glasgow after T(ea)

This week I spent some time recovering from the T in the Park festival and preparing for a day in Glasgow. T in the park was so much more than I expected and I am more than happy to say that I attended another music festival in another country because of my passion for them in the U.S. I spent lots of time preparing for this festival since I had heard it was such a big deal all across the UK. During my time at T in the Park, I became obsessed over Twenty One Pilots after their early afternoon performance, and was a proud American once I learned they were from Ohio just a state over from me. I was ecstatic to have seen them as well as, currently popular Calvin Harris perform with an introduction from former Fresh Prince, Will Smith.

 As Thursday approached, I was excited to visit Glasgow since it has been referenced in an array of songs I have listened to throughout the last couple of years. The group, Of Monsters and Men have mentioned love in the streets of Glasgow several times in their songs and I found the city to be very musically adapted. A significant architect, Charles Rennie Mackintosh has huge impact on the designs and emotion throughout some of the buildings throughout Glasgow as well as stories shared by our tour guide about the women architects and their hardships pf becoming more than a simple housewife or mother. You will find both his design layouts and a building dedicated to women artists of Glasgow in the photo slideshow.
 
        Following the Glasgow School of Art tour, a visit to the Riverside Museum of Transport and Travel was lined up for the late afternoon where I found one of the most amazing vehicles on display. A hippie caravan stood at the back side of the building, far out of the way of the many more big name and post-industrial motors throughout the building which all stood up front and in the middle. I wandered about the building to make sure I didn’t miss anything interesting and found myself standing and staring at a hippie van which held home to a bed, tiny dresser and peace era posters communicating the fight against war on Iraq as well as many others. I could hear a man in the speaker located next to the van speaking of his time spent living ina caravan community while he drew a beard for cold winters and tried to find as much sleep as possible living among trees and few other humans around him in other caravans. You will also find these photos in the slideshow provided. 

No comments:

Post a Comment