Saturday, July 26, 2014

Birds and Boats

I cannot believe it is my last week here in Scotland.  I am incredibly sad to be leaving Scotland so soon. Last Thursday, my class and I traveled to Anstruther on a coach bus and this bus was incredibly comfortable because there were many seats open with only eleven students occupying these seats. Once we arrived in Anstruther, the day was beginning to warm up and there were numerous people who were riding the boat from Anstruther to the Isle of May.  The boat ride was incredible because the ride itself was incredibly calm.  As we continued onto the Isle of May, I saw many birds flying around the island because the island is a preservation for many species.  I saw baby puffins trying to fly in the air only to lift off the ground for a few seconds and the birds then landed back on the ground.   Furthermore, I saw some dolphins swimming around and the boat was about 45 minutes altogether.

After we arrived at the Isle of May, the tour guides gave us a brief introduction about the island and then we had about two and a half hours to explore the island.   They informed us that the Isle has numerous puffins and that we need to stay on the path so we will not step on the eggs of puffins.   As I started my walk up the hill, I accidentally veered off the path and was rewarded by a puffin attacking my face. After this incident, I was able to continue climbing and got to see the birds flying around in their natural habitat.   I got to observe the behavior of these birds and I have never seen so many birds in my entire life.

No comments:

Post a Comment