Wednesday, July 9, 2014

STEAM AHEAD!!!

I have been traveling around on trains throughout the past few weeks and taking trains has allowed me to see much of the country.  Without transportation, I would not be able to travel around England and Scotland as easily.  It makes me wonder what people would do if effective modes of transportation did not exist.  I decided to look at the development of transportation in Scotland because many people rely on transportation to get around the country.  Last weekend, a classmate and I traveled to Nottingham and we thoroughly explored the city.  The one highlight of my trip was that I  attended the Nottingham Industrial Museum  and it is only open on the weekends.  It showcased different modes of transportation like trains and cars from the 1700's to 1800's.  Furthermore, it had a lot of industrial machines that were used back in the 1800s.

Luckily, I arrived on the last Sunday of the month so the museum was showcasing steam engines and it had volunteers who powered up these steam engines.  These steam engines demonstrate the theme of post-industrialism because they demonstrate the development of certain modes of transportation including trains. Without steam power, engines would not have run as smoothly during the Industrial Revolution.  If there were no steam engines, then there could have been a world without different modes of transportation which would have been a scary thought indeed.  I recorded many different video clips demonstrating these steam engines in use and I have edited these clips to make a quick video below demonstrating the development of steam power within the country.  I hope you enjoy the video!


No comments:

Post a Comment