Sunday, June 22, 2014

Expect The Unexpected

Beginning my journey to the United Kingdom was a job in itself. Having to run from the CVS Pharmacy store to Wal-Mart preparing for something I had never done before felt almost impossible. I was more excited about getting there than I was worried about how to do so. Having my mom in one ear while I day-dreamt of conversations with Scottish residents in local bars around the many cities I would visit. But this was something that needed proper preparation which was the last thing on my mind.

View of London from the airplane.

On the plane to London, I met Ryan. A London native between the age of 40 and 50, Ryan shared with me a few things to help my travel to Scotland. I assumed a few hints such as the one about not sharing budget information with anyone I don’t know  as well as a couple hints he gave that I did not know. He mentioned forms I would need to consider before crossing border patrol at the airport. He made relevant that my fear for snakes would not be an issue for he had never seen one in his life as a citizen of the UK. I remember him as being my first conversation abroad while he pointed out of the small window over my right shoulder on the airplane down at the roads of London.


I have encountered many unexpected instances that I was hoping for since my settle in Alloway Halls. Doing little research on Scotland and its cities, I was expecting the unexpected and that is was I was given. Hostels, restaurants which you pay before you eat, ordering dinner at the bar, and outside were sea gulls as big as puppies. Some of what was all a part of the experience while I began working with hand maps and street signs.


Streets of Scotland

Train rides to Edinburgh and then Dundee as long as 8 hours in full and unforgettable scenery. Two hours of brick buildings with miles of graffiti, small rustic bridges and forgotten ponds before the 5 hours of mountainous grasslands of cows and sheep. London was another world away from Scotland’s grazing animals.

At the final arrival, football fanatics lined the uneven sidewalks of Edinburgh rushing into and out of the line of pubs across the street of the train station. It must have been 6pm while myself and my travel companion walked the steep hills to find a hostel before arriving back at the train station. Being such a busy city in Scotland, we were appointed to look elsewhere and began our journey forth to Dundee where we would find sleep at Dundee Backpackers Hostel.

Only in the movies could you see hostels for backpackers and Russian receptionists waiting to take your 14 pounds for a bunk bead to crash, or so I thought back in the states.

As of yet the trip has been no vacation but a backpackers task to find the end of the rainbow. I reference a rainbow quite lightly only meaning to appoint it as a task that is not so much a job but a dream that takes the guts of a traveler. I plan to not plan, but not wait for the opportunity to fall into my lap either. I plan to seek an adventure by aiming for one destination and taking as long as necessary to get there while I absorb every bit of culture along the way.

No comments:

Post a Comment